KGY History

    KGY will always be involved in your community!

    Let's take a look at the KGY history and see where it all began!

    In 1922, Benedictine Monk, Father Sebastian Ruth received the rights to the radio call letters "KGY" Original broadcasts were from his log cabin shack just north of Old Main atop the college hill at what was St. Martin's College. In original artwork found there were banners of KGY representing the words, "Kan't Get You" After a few experimental efforts KGY's first real program aired, and by January 1922 Thurston County listeners could look forward to regular programs on Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday evenings from 8:30-9:30, a schedule that Father Sebastian continued for 11 years while broadcasting from St. Martin's.

    Father Sebastian moved the location of his studio from his wood shack to a log cabin. After receiving a new wavelength of 258 meters he moved into the log cabin, which was still located on St. Martin's campus and formally used by students for clubs. Banners in the studio proclaimed "KGY, Where the Cedars Meet the Sea." His time at the log cabin was historical for the station as it allowed more room for performers and talents. His tenure broadcasting from St. Martins brought in more than 4,000 visits.

    May 8th, 1932 marks the final station broadcast from St. Martin's campus under pressure to increase its hours of broadcasting and the demand for commercial stations. The move took the station to the Capital Park Building at 11th & Capitol Way in 1932. On May 28th under the ownership of Archie Taft KGY broadcasted with a more powerful and up-to-date transmitter. Also in 1932, Sam Crawford created the concept of news on KGY. Mr. Crawford headed the news department as the Voice of the News at KGY for over 16 years and began the tradition of local news reportage that has become a KGY hallmark.

    The Christian Science Monitor cited KGY as one of the oldest U.S. radio stations. The station was at the forefront of news reporting said the article.

    Tom Olsen purchased the station and began his nearly 40-year management. Under Tom's wing, KGY blossomed into vital community service and part of the way of life in Thurston County. Mr. Olsen also owned the Olympia News during the late 1950s and also began cable television in Olympia.

    Completion of the new facilities in the Rockway-Leland Building led to KGY moving its location once more. The location provided up-to-date studios and a new transmitter and tower. KGY began broadcasting on the 1240 frequency.

    President Harry Truman visited the Rockway-Leland Building Studio A for a broadcast which was telephoned to San Francisco for release. Also in this year, the drive-in station was inaugurated by KGY, located on Martin Way.

    The construction of their new studio at 1240 North Washington Street was completed in August when the station left the Rockway-Leland location. The waterfront siting made it one of the most uniquely situated stations in the country.

    A new transmitter was added to the station allowing the signal to expand over the water.

    Station began 24 hours a day broadcasting, although its power remains at 250 watts at night.

    KGY Begins broadcasting at 1,000 watts 24 hours a day.

    Dick Pust & Bob MacLeod celebrate 20 years on KGY.

    KGY's Bob MacLeod, Ed Michelson, and John Tennis are Awarded First Place for Best Scheduled Newscast, by the Associated Press.

    KGY, Inc. debuts KGY-FM 96.9 (Currently KYYO-FM) as "Classic Rock" 96.9 KGY-FM.

    KGY completes the construction of a new Tower at the Port of Olympia.

    KGY begins simulcast of its programming on 95.3 FM, licensed to Tumwater, WA.

    KGY, Inc. Announces the sale of its 1240-AM signal to Sacred Heart Radio.  KGY will continue to broadcast exclusively on 95.3-FM.